CATE Convention - 2015 San Jose—February 20-22, 2015
Location: Double Tree Inn, San Jose
Major Speakers for 2015
Carol Jago | Cristina Garcia | Marga Gomez | Jim Burke| Jamie Ford| Lisa See | Porter Shreve
ASILOMAR 63 - - - - - - - - ASILOMAR 62 - - - - - - - -ASILOMAR 61
STEINBECK WORKSHOP 2012
Will Huddleston, Web Maestro-- Last updated
- CENTRAL is a regional council of CATE, the California Association of Teachers of English.
- CENTRAL represents members of CATE living or teaching in the following counties: Sonoma, Napa, Solano, Marin, Alameda, San Francisco, Contra Costa, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Monterey, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Merced, and San Benito.
- CENTRAL co-sponsors the fall ASILOMAR conference with its sister organization, the Curriculum Study Commission.
- CENTRAL sponsors regional workshops, such as the Steinbeck Conference.
- CENTRAL organizes writing contests and gives teaching and service awards.
- CENTRAL debates policy issues, and represents the views of English/ Language Arts teachers to the legislature and the public.
Board Job Descriptions
Board Reimbursement Form (PDF)
Central Board Officers
President: Susan Dillon, Central Catholic High School, Modesto
Past President: Liz McAninch, Mercy High School, San Francisco
Vice-President:Trevor Guina, Central Catholic, Modesto
Treasurer: Kathy Nichols, Pleasanton Middle School, Pleasanton
Secretary: Bev Kreps, retired, Monterey High School, Monterrey
Membership Chair: Charley Schaefer, Mercy High School, San Francisco
Resolutions Chair:William Foreman, CSU Stanislaus, Turlock
Board Members at August Meeting
Board Members at Large
Al Adams, Retired, San Jose
Brucine Doherty, Davidson Middle School, San Rafael
John Thomas, Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill
Minutes of Previous Board Meetings (by date):
September 24, 2010
December 4, 2010
August 21, 2010
- Central awards a handful of promising new teachers with a scholarship to attend the Fall Asilomar Conference annually.
- Central nominates teachers and those who promote the teaching of English to receive CATE awards at the annual CATE convention in February.
- Central honors promising young writers who are winners of the annual CATE and NCTE writing contests with an awards celebration every Spring.
IN MEMORY OF KATHLEEN CECIL
1948 - 2010The first Kathleen Cecil Scholarship, funded by CCCTE
in memory of our colleague,
was awarded to Genny Garcia. She used the fund to attend CATE 2011.